Who we are
We are a diverse and multi-ethnic fellowship of God’s people, growing in love and membership, impacting our community and the world with the gospel and love of Jesus Christ.
Our 1 Mission:
To present every person in our community mature in Christ.
Our 2 Core Values:
The authority of the Bible
The command to love God and our neighbours
Our 3 Strategies:
Connect – through welcoming and Evangelism
Grow – by training and worship
Serve – in giving and going
What we believe:
- About the Scriptures: We believe the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God and that people were moved by the Spirit of God to write the very words of Scripture. We believe all that is necessary for salvation is contained in the Scriptures.
- 2 Timothy 3:14-17
- 2 Peter 1:21
- About God: We believe in one God who exists in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe that God became truly human in the person of Jesus Christ.
- Matthew 28:19
- Luke 3:22
- Luke 10:21
- Abut Jesus: We believe Jesus truly suffered, was crucified, dead, and buried, to reconcile His Father to us, and to be a sacrifice, not only for our guilt, but for the sins of men and women. We believe he rose from the dead, in flesh, and ascended into heaven. We believe he will return to judge all people.
- Hebrews 10:10
- John 3:16-17
- Mark 10:45
- 1 Peter 4:5
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-28
- About the Holy Spirit: We believe the Holy Spirit is the person of God who lives in all who believe. His presence is the mark of a true believer and the one through whom God powerfully works in us each day. He is very much at work in us each day, transforming us and gifting us to serve in the Church and the world.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19
- Ephesians 1:13
- John 14:26
- About Humanity: We believe that all people were created in the image of God to have fellowship with him, but are naturally inclined towards evil (sin). We all deserve God’s wrath and punishment for our sins. Yet there is no condemnation for those who believe and put their faith in Jesus Christ.
- Romans 3:23-26
- About Salvation: We believe that the Jesus Christ died on the cross, and shed his blood as a punishment for the sins of the world.God poured out on him the wrath we deserve. This is the only way we can be saved is to put our trust in the sacrifice of Jesus in our place. His sacrifice has paid the price, the ransom, for our sins.
- John 14:6
- About the Christian Life: As Christians we are called to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus. The good works we do is a response to our salvation already gained through Christ. We do not work for that salvation, as Christ has already given it to us freely, by faith.
- Ephesians 2:8-9
- James 2:14-18
- Romans 12:4-8
- About the Church: We believe that the church is the body of Christ, of which Jesus Christ is the head. Every member of the church is called to serve God, according to the gifts they have been given, and according to their maturity of faith.
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-12
- About the sacraments:We celebrate two sacraments as an Anglican and Church – Baptism and the Lord’s Supper (Communion). Jesus took part in both of these while on earth, and commanded us to continue with them. Baptism is an outward physical sign (washing with water) of an inward spiritual grace (washing of our sins under the new covenant of Jesus blood). The Lord’s Supper is a meal of remembrance – wine and bread help us to remember the body and blood of Jesus, the life he lived and the sacrificial death he died.
- 1 Corinthians11:23-26
- Matthew 28:18-20
Our 5 year Vision (towards 2020)
Under God, we desire to see our church grow by 8% each year, for the next 5 years.
At St Philip’s we care about:
Being Evangelical in Theology – Grace alone, Bible alone, Christ alone, Faith alone.
Being multi-ethnic/international by being culturally relevant and adapting to the changing culture of our area.
Unity in the gospel and our mission while having diversity in ministry. We are one church but multiple congregations/fellowships each with its own distinctive style/culture.
Growth Groups. These growth groups (Bible study groups) lie at the centre of our ministry.
Love which leads to service. We want to be known for a love that leads to people growing in Christ and as servants to others.
Children. Growth in Christ starts from childhood. Therefore we have a special focus on growing good, effective ministry to children.
Training & sending people into ministry – encouraging everyone to be a servant.
Having an evangelistic focus. We want to grow in numbers to see more people in the kingdom.