The people of St. Philip’s have worshipped in Eastwood for over 100 years. In the early days they met in a tent, or the local community hall. Since 1907 we have been meeting in the present building.
As a Bible based evangelical church, we have always shared a fundamental conviction that God and his word reveal the truth about our life and existence, and are absolutely reliable.
The motivation for gathering as the church, for encouraging one another to follow Jesus and for making the life choices we do, are understood in the light of what we read and learn in the Bible. St. Phil’s members love being part of such a friendly and caring community and welcome anyone to join us.
Rectors of St Philip’s
1914 – 1918 H.W. Mullins (Curate in charge)
Mullins was Rector of Ryde
1918 – 1943 A. Colvin (Andrew) – First Rector
1943 – 1946 H. Bates (Harry)
1946 – 1956 B.R. Horsley (Boyce)
1956 – 1964 E.G. Mortley
1965 – 1972 A. Funnel
1972 – 1993 W. S. Skillicorn (Stan)
1993 – 2006 M. A. Fairhurst (Mark)
2007 – 2014 C. R. Burgess (Chris)
2015 – present B. D. Stanley (Bruce)
1905 services began in a tent, then moved to School of Arts.
1906 Current site – land given by Mrs A Darvall.
1907 Building of Church begins – existing chancel and stage area. Cost of £560.
1907 Sunday 28th April first service.
1912 3 more bays added to first stage.
1917 January St Philip’s School Hall completed for £890.
1917 28 February services started at St George’s Marsfield.
1917 May services started at St Mark’s Ermington.
1920 Rectory purchased (25 Clanwilliam) for £1,750.
1926 St Mark’s Ermington comes under West Ryde Parish and St Paul’s Carlingford comes under Eastwood Parish.
1930 January St Philip’s Sunday School rooms completed for £620.
1932 Pipe Organ installed for £550.
1933 26th August foundation stone laid for current Church – completed in November that year.
1936 St Paul’s Carlingford given provisional status.
1943 Sunday school founded at St Dunstan’s Denistone.
1950 main church repairs, repaint, plumbing, waterproofing and new electricals. Cost £1200.
1956 Dedication of the War Memorial Hall. Cost £21,000.
1961 December Church gallery and tower dedicated. 300 in attendance.
1970 Curatage purchased 8a Clanwilliam St. Cost $18,750.
2000 Cantonese Ministry and Service commences under Rev David Yue
2015 Mandarin Ministry and Service (9:30am) commences under Rev. Raymond Leung
2016 Rectory extensions completed. Cost $220,000.
2016 Church waterproofed, repainted, main floor replaced, complete re-carpet. Interior roof cleaning. Cost $150,000.
2016 Curatage renovated. New kitchen, laundry, bathrooms, flooring, repaint. Cost $80,000.
2018 Mandarin Service (5pm) commences under Pastor Christine Yang
2020 Stage 1A of major development begins. Complete renovation and structural stabilisation of Old Hall (1907) – (now called “Children’s Ministry Centre”), site perimeter fencing, playground, landscaping, carpark (unsealed). Completed during Covid-19 lockdowns. Cost $500,000.
2020 April – Korean service commences under Pastors Joe Hong and Jena Um. During Covid-19 lockdown. Service launches under live-stream.
2021 January 1st – St Philip’s Eastwood amalgamates with St. Mark’s Ermington to become 1 Parish.
2021 January 3rd – Indonesian service commences at Eastwood under Pastor Kian Holik.
“The work of erecting the first portion of the Anglican Church at Eastwood was commenced yesterday. There will be accommodation for 300, and the building will be constructed of brick from plans prepared by Mr Summerhayes, architect”20 November 1906, the Sydney Morning Herald
1908-1909 Rev C M Stratham
1909-1910 Rev J H Willcoxon
1910-1914 Rev H W Mullins
1929-1931 Rev H G S Begbie
1931-1932 Rev C M Kemmis
1932-1936 Rev O W Cooper
1943 Rev J R Noble
1949 Rev R Patfield
1950-1951 Rev A J Gerlach
1951-1953 Rev R W J Fraser
1953-1954 Rev K N Wray
1954-1956 Rev D F L Harris
1956 Rev E J Storey
Rev F Alderton
Rev C Gumbley
Rev P Gurrier Jones
Rev C White
Rev G Simpson
Rev D Meadows
Rev G Orr
Rev R Nixie
1973-1974 Rev D G Mulready
1976-1977 Rev G Simpson
1974-1975 Rev R Humphreys
1981-1982 Rev G B Mackay
1983-1984 Rev M P Steinwede
1990-1991 Rev A V Galea
1992-1993 Rev M A Fairhurst
1994-1996 Rev T C Goodman-Jones
1997-1999 Rev D L Milne
2000-2007 Rev B G Chapman
2000-2020 Rev D T M Yue
2007-2016 Rev M J Smith
2015-current Rev R Leung
2017-2020 Rev A James
2020-present Rev C Huin
“The house at 25 Clanalpine Street first appears in the Sands Directory in 1913 as ‘Carlisle’ and is listed as the residence of Daniel French until 1921. The Council’s Valuation Books from 1924 confirm that the Rectory owned by the Anglican church is the house known as ‘Carlyle’. It is described as a brick cottage with six rooms and a slate roof, with a weatherboard garage.”heritage inventory listing