Skip to Content
st phil's logo
讲道

居家令下,现场崇拜和聚会暂停

历史

A summary of how our church has changed since it was founded in 1914.

The people of St. Philip’s have worshipped in Eastwood for over 100 years. In the early days they met in a tent, or the local community hall. Since 1907 we have been meeting in the present building.

A photo of st phil's church building in 1914

As a Bible based evangelical church, we have always shared a fundamental conviction that God and his word reveal the truth about our life and existence, and are absolutely reliable.

The motivation for gathering as the church, for encouraging one another to follow Jesus and for making the life choices we do, are understood in the light of what we read and learn in the Bible. St. Phil’s members love being part of such a friendly and caring community and welcome anyone to join us.

photo of our current church courtyard

Rectors of St Philip's

  1. 1914 – 1918 H.W. Mullins (Curate in charge). Mullins was Rector of Ryde
  2. 1918 – 1943 A. Colvin (Andrew) – First Rector
  3. 1943 – 1946 H. Bates (Harry)
  4. 1946 – 1956 B.R. Horsley (Boyce)
  5. 1956 – 1964 E.G. Mortley
  6. 1965 – 1972 A. Funnel
  7. 1972 – 1993 W. S. Skillicorn (Stan)
  8. 1993 – 2006 M. A. Fairhurst (Mark)
  9. 2007 – 2014 C. R. Burgess (Chris)
  10. 2015 – present B. D. Stanley (Bruce)

Historic Dates

  • 1905 services began in a tent, then moved to School of Arts.
  • 1906 Current site – land given by Mrs A Darvall.
  • 1907 Building of Church begins – existing chancel and stage area. Cost of £560.
  • 1907 Sunday 28th April first service.
  • 1912 3 more bays added to first stage.
  • 1917 January St Philip’s School Hall completed for £890.
  • 1917 28 February services started at St George’s Marsfield.
  • 1917 May services started at St Mark’s Ermington.
  • 1920 Rectory purchased (25 Clanwilliam) for £1,750.
  • 1926 St Mark’s Ermington comes under West Ryde Parish and St Paul’s Carlingford comes under Eastwood Parish.
  • 1930 January St Philip’s Sunday School rooms completed for £620.
  • 1932 Pipe Organ installed for £550.
  • 1933 26th August foundation stone laid for current Church – completed in November that year.
  • 1936 St Paul’s Carlingford given provisional status.
  • 1943 Sunday school founded at St Dunstan’s Denistone.
  • 1950 main church repairs, repaint, plumbing, waterproofing and new electricals. Cost £1200.
  • 1956 Dedication of the War Memorial Hall. Cost £21,000.
  • 1961 December Church gallery and tower dedicated. 300 in attendance.
  • 1970 Curatage purchased 8a Clanwilliam St. Cost $18,750.
  • 2000 Cantonese Ministry and Service commences under Rev David Yue
  • 2015 Mandarin Ministry and Service (9:30am) commences under Rev. Raymond Leung
  • 2016 Rectory extensions completed. Cost $220,000.
  • 2016 Church waterproofed, repainted, main floor replaced, complete re-carpet. Interior roof cleaning. Cost $150,000.
  • 2016 Curatage renovated. New kitchen, laundry, bathrooms, flooring, repaint. Cost $80,000.
  • 2018 Mandarin Service (5pm) commences under Pastor Christine Yang
  • 2020 Stage 1A of major development begins. Complete renovation and structural stabilisation of Old Hall (1907) – (now called “Children’s Ministry Centre”), site perimeter fencing, playground, landscaping, carpark (unsealed). Completed during Covid-19 lockdowns. Cost $500,000.
  • 2020 April – Korean service commences under Pastors Joe Hong and Jena Um. During Covid-19 lockdown. Service launches under live-stream.
  • 2021 January 1st – St Philip’s Eastwood amalgamates with St. Mark’s Ermington to become 1 Parish.
  • 2021 January 3rd – Indonesian service commences at Eastwood under Pastor Kian Holik.

The work of erecting the first portion of the Anglican Church at Eastwood was commenced yesterday. There will be accommodation for 300, and the building will be constructed of brick from plans prepared by Mr Summerhayes, architect

20 November 1906, the Sydney Morning Herald

Assistant Ministers

  1. 1908-1909 Rev C M Stratham
  2. 1909-1910 Rev J H Willcoxon
  3. 1910-1914 Rev H W Mullins
  4. 1929-1931 Rev H G S Begbie
  5. 1931-1932 Rev C M Kemmis
  6. 1932-1936 Rev O W Cooper
  7. 1943 Rev J R Noble
  8. 1949 Rev R Patfield
  9. 1950-1951 Rev A J Gerlach
  10. 1951-1953 Rev R W J Fraser
  11. 1953-1954 Rev K N Wray
  12. 1954-1956 Rev D F L Harris
  13. 1956 Rev E J Storey
  14. Rev F Alderton
  15. Rev C Gumbley
  16. Rev P Gurrier Jones
  17. Rev C White
  18. Rev G Simpson
  19. Rev D Meadows
  20. Rev G Orr
  21. Rev R Nixie
  22. 1973-1974 Rev D G Mulready
  23. 1976-1977 Rev G Simpson
  24. 1974-1975 Rev R Humphreys
  25. 1981-1982 Rev G B Mackay
  26. 1983-1984 Rev M P Steinwede
  27. 1990-1991 Rev A V Galea
  28. 1992-1993 Rev M A Fairhurst
  29. 1994-1996 Rev T C Goodman-Jones
  30. 1997-1999 Rev D L Milne
  31. 2000-2007 Rev B G Chapman
  32. 2000-2020 Rev D T M Yue
  33. 2007-2016 Rev M J Smith
  34. 2015-current Rev R Leung
  35. 2017-2020 Rev A James
  36. 2020-present Rev C Huin

The house at 25 Clanalpine Street first appears in the Sands Directory in 1913 as ‘Carlisle’ and is listed as the residence of Daniel French until 1921. The Council’s Valuation Books from 1924 confirm that the Rectory owned by the Anglican church is the house known as ‘Carlyle’. It is described as a brick cottage with six rooms and a slate roof, with a weatherboard garage.

Heritage inventory listing

st phil's logo

FacebookInstagramYouTubeElvanto

讲道特别活动最新消息

崇拜

8:00am公祷书传统英语崇拜9:30am英语家庭崇拜9:30am国语家庭崇拜11am粤语崇拜11am韩语家庭崇拜5pm国语下午堂崇拜5pm印尼语崇拜6:30pm现代英语崇拜

    Eastwood 活力圣公会

    Cnr. Shaftsbury Rd & Clanalpine St, Eastwood NSW 2122

    Sanity Logo
    Structured content powered by Sanity.io